31st Council of Europe Conference of Ministers of Justice
which exacerbates unemployment and financial hardship and is conducive to the deterioration
of living conditions and the social climate in certain urban areas;
7. Aware of the fact that these factors may contribute to increased social tension and to the
feeling of social exclusion and neglect, especially among juveniles who are vulnerable when
confronted with instigators who incite riots and other forms of urban violence, notably through
Internet, social networks and other information and communication technologies;
and that therefore the response of the criminal justice system should take into consideration
the specific circumstances of each individual case and should be based on the principle of
well as maintain public safety and prevent disorder and crime, as necessary in a democratic
social welfare institutions, courts of law, administrative authorities or legislative bodies, the
best interests of the child should be a primary consideration;
and, where appropriate, take due account of their views, educational, development and other
specific needs in accordance with their age and level of maturity;
development of juveniles and should therefore be used only as a measure of last resort, for
the shortest appropriate period of time;
therefore convinced that any measures should take a multi-disciplinary and a multi-agency
approach in order to address effectively the variety of problems juveniles may face;
guardians concerned in prevention measures as well as during criminal proceedings and the
execution of sanctions in order to help with the social integration of children and thus prevent
their involvement in acts of urban violence;
away from the formal criminal justice system and ordinary criminal proceedings to more
adapted forms of response, such as mediation and restorative justice taking into consideration
the interests of victims and their protection;
technologies such as social networks and instant messaging, and of the fact that persons
participating in acts of urban violence often use modern telecommunication technologies in the
preparation of and during such acts; but also noting the potential of new technologies as a tool
for anticipating and preventing violence, gathering evidence and ensuring accountability of
instigators and perpetrators of violence;
rapid, appropriate and effective response of the justice system with regard to juvenile
perpetrators and victims, to protect public order, avoid the feeling of insecurity in society and
prevent the deterioration of social peace;
- Journalism … Terror Laws IFJ President Jim Boumelha, flanked by EFJ President Arne König and IFJ General Secretary Beth Costa at the opening...
- Violence Against Women VIENNA, 25 November UNIS – Violence against women and girls takes many forms and is widespread throughout the globe. It...
- Internet Pharmacies Sell Illicit Drugs, Target Young Audiences INCB Annual Report highlights the connection of drug abuse and social exclusion, warns of illegal Internet pharmacies targeting young...
- The Shameful Crime Of Modern-Day Slavery Yury Fedotov, Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) stated in his remarks at...
- 28th Annual Meeting of ARABMED in Europe الهيئة الإدارية لإتحاد الأطباء العرب تلتقي في باريس عقدت الهيئة الإدارية لإتحاد الأطباء العرب في أوروبا (عرب ميد), وهو...